Sunday, March 8, 2009

New Michigan Enhanced Driver's License

Michigan Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land announced that her office will be offering residents an enhanced driver's license, which eases travel back into the United States. With more stringent border crossing rules starting June 1, the enhanced driver's license can be considered as a convenient, less expensive option allowing Michigan residents to return to the United States.” The new license will be available in Spring and will cost $45.00.
Michigan's enhanced driver's license was proposed by Land as a way for travelers to speed their return from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean. Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, all travelers -- including U.S. citizens -- must produce a passport or an approved secure document such as the enhanced driver's license to enter the country by land or sea beginning June 1. The law affects people who travel between Michigan and Canada in pleasure boats, in addition to other modes of travel.
Land's plan to offer enhanced driver's licenses and state-issued ID cards was approved in 2008 by the Michigan Legislature and the governor, as well as the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. The cards will be voluntary and available in the spring only to Michigan residents who are U.S. citizens. Michigan will continue offering its standard driver's license as well. For more information, visit

1 comment:

  1. Michigan residents can now apply for the enhanced driver's license at the offices of the Secretary of State. The license will be mailed to you about two weeks after filling out your application.